Preparation is the key to making a good idea into a reality.
I recently had an issue with a walk where the preparation for a walk I was attempting let me down. I learnt from that mistake and I want to take you with me asI plan for the next challenge – Tasmania’s iconic Overland Track. So let’s plunge right in!
There is so much to think about when planning a long walk. What will the weather be like? Will I be safe? What do I take with me? Where am I going and what am Idoing? The list of questions can seem daunting.
It helps me to break the problem down, so we have selected some broad areas to focus on –
- Logistics – this includes what walk I want to do, walk itinerary, track details, how I will get to and from the walk;
- Food – this takes in menus, recipes, food preparation
- Equipment – this will include what I need to take, testing of the gear, and how to pack it;
- Fitness – I plan on doing a number of day walks and overnight walks in preparation;
- Weather Watch – as the time comes closer I will focus on the weather.
At the end of this process I want a memorable and challenging walk – memorable and challenging for the right right reasons though!